As we provided a general introduction about Panchkarma Therapy in our previous blog. In this blog we are going to elaborate Panchkarma Therapy’s all terminologies. This includes the famous“Purva Karma” and “Pradhan Karma” Therapies with complete information in this blog.
The process begins with “Purva Karma” Which includes 3 Processes
- Pre-Purification Therapies (Purva Karma) – Snehan (Massage/oleation Therapy) and Swedan (Sudation) are the two Purva Karmas Therapies.
- Snehan (Massage/oleation Therapy):-The benefit of Snehan or Oleation Therapy is to loose the body toxins which are stuck up into our body systems causing various diseases. The Oleation is of two types that are internal and external. In Internal Oleation, SnehaDravya like plain or medicated ghee, oil is taken orally in desirable amount while External Oleation Therapy consists of whole or partial body massage with medicated oils. Our skin is semi absorbable this oil to some extent.
- Swedan (Sudation):-In Swedan or Sudation procedure, the sweat is induced by steam. It liquefies the toxins and increases the toxins flow to gastrointestinal tract (Koshtha).We do swedan therapy in different ways like NadiSweda, PindaSweda, Patra Pottali, ValukaSweda, etc. Among these types of sweda, one sweda is selected according to patient and the suffering disease.
The second process in this detoxification procedure is “Pradhan Karma Therapies”:- These are fivefold purification therapies that used to detoxify the human body.
1. Vaman (Therapeutic Emesis):-Therapeutic vomiting is governed in patients suffering from derrangedKapha accumulated in Respiratory tract, Sinuses, Bronchial asthma, Psoriasis, Chronic Allergies, Obesity, Chronic Indigestion, Hyperacidity, Nasal Congestion and other skin disorders.The patient is advised to drink elixation of liquorice, or Acoruscalamus root, or sugarcane juice as per his body constitution and ailment he is suffering from and the full extent vomiting is induced. Approx 4 to 6 bouts of vomit indecates excellent purification.
2. Virechan (Therapeutic Purgation):-Virechan is given to those patients who are suffering from Pitta Dosha related diseases.It cleans the gastrointestinal tract completely and voids off the Pitta toxins accumulated in the liver, gall bladder and small intestine.This therapy is given with medicines like cow’s milk, black currants, castor oil, etc. It is a procedure without any side effects.Through Virechana, we can cure Chronic Fever, Diabetes, Asthma, Skin disorders like Herpes, Paraplegia, Hemiplegia, Joint disorders, Digestive disorders, constipation, hyperacidity, Vitiligo, Psoriasis, Headaches, Elephantiasis and Gynecological disorders.
3. Basti (Enema):-Basti is considered to be most effective remedy in Ayurveda because it is not only prime cure for Vata disorders but also cleans toxins created by pitta and kapha through rectum.Medicated oil, ghee or elixation is used through anus into the colon. The diseases like osteoporosis, gas trouble, constipation, backache, hemiplegia, paraplegia, sciatica, cervical spondylosis, chronic fever, arthritis, muscle spasm, acidity, digestive disorders, joint pain, slip disc, sexual disorders and many more can be cured through Basti.As we know that the large intestine and bones are the main seat of vata, so Basti is governed through rectum which destroy toxins and also feed the integument of colon and controls vata diseases efficiently.
4. Nasya (Nasal drops):-The medicine dropped into nose is known as Nasya.It helps in doshasaccmulated in head, neck and face especially kaphadosha. Through Nasya, we can drain out sinus, relieves headache, improves eye sight, memory and promotes hair growth.Nasal allergies, polyps, neck stiffness, frozen shoulder, Bell’s palsy can be cured by Nasya.In cases of Hemiplagia and Paraplegia, it pushes brain tissues and improves functionality of nerve system.
5. Raktamokshan (Bloodletting):-Raktamokshan is a peerless procedure that performed in disease due to pitta and RaktaDushti especially.Raktamokshan procedure is done in different ways but the most common techniques are bloodletting with syringe and leeches.Leeches suck out impure blood from our body and are usually helpful in particular area. It reduces pain and swelling in joint pain, localized skin diseases, cracked heels, varicose veins, and many more.Bloodletting using syringe is dominant in generalized body diseases like Hypertension, Large area of varicose veins, vitiligo, severe Headache,etc.
These fivefold therapies work amazingly when performed properly under the guidance of well experienced, efficient Ayurveda consultant and obedient patient who is willing to follow all the necessary rules as advised by the doctor.